Monday, February 23, 2009

Capturing Moments

During Morgan's first year I filled up not one, but two photo albums with pictures. I captured every moment of every day no matter how mundane. I would take dozens of pictures of her sleeping. They all looked the same, but that didn't matter to me at the time.

Now that she is older, my picture taking has dramatically decreased. I might be able to blame it on my inability (and my cameras) to capture a toddler zooming around at lightening speed. As she got older, I might even blame the lack of photos on my subject matter for consonantly hiding behind her hands or turning her back at just a glimpse of a camera coming out. But really I have no good excuses for the empty photo albums I now have on our shelves. I need to get better. I need to capture these times. Especially now that she's growing so quickly and changing so much, coming into her personality more and more. If I don't, I know I will look back and regret it.

This weekend we went hiking at Red Rocks. She's turned into quite the hiker with minimum complaints - a HUGE difference from years past where she asked to be carried every few feet. She was happy to walk along while waving around a stick, combating unseen evil forces. Lost in her own imagination. Holes in rocks were actually caves where scary mosters live. Steps were an opportunity to jump up and down. Rocks were obstacles to climb and conquer. What a wonderful day we had.

And I don't have one, not one single picture that captured this special day. Yes, I must get better.

2 comments:

Heather said...

You've always seemed great about capturing stuff. Don't beat yourself up!

Shey said...

I could have written a similar post. I think it would be great if Blogger could turn our blogs into bound albums, somewhat like photo books, but not as neat looking. Then we could periodically order them and add to the volumes. Wouldn't that be a great "journal" of our children growing up--and at least some pictures! : ) Hey, can I patent this idea? ; )