Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cha...Cha...Changes

Today was Morgan's last day at her current school. I've never been a huge fan of this place but choices in the area are limited so she's been there for three years. Three years is a long time when you've only been on this planet for five.

While I'm excited that she is moving on, it is bittersweet. There are several teachers that have been an important part of her life: attending her birthday parties even when she's no longer in their class, being an integrated part of our family and knowing what is going on in our personal lives, and sharing stories about the last reality show or concert coming to town. And then there are the parents, a close group of us that have always attending special events together. One special Mom whose child has the same temperament as Morgan, who has been a person to commensurate with, a shoulder to lean on, helping me get through the hard times and celebrating the good times. We have the best intentions to stay in touch, to get the girls together occasionally. But life gets crazy and I know it's harder to keep those intentions when you are no longer running in the same circles.

I am discovering that this change not only affects Morgan, but also myself in ways I would not have imagined. I knew sending her on the path of independence would be hard. I am prepared for the tears of that first day. I just didn't know I would have tears for the last day and the things left behind.

1 comment:

Staci A said...

No matter what, I think change is always hard-for both them and us. Lots of hugs! I'm sure things will get better!